Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"Pink Peonies"

24"x36" oil on canvas (in progress)

Happy summer!! The kids are keeping me busy. I have been working on a large painting for my mother. I did start this a while back but became overwhelmed by it's size. Then about a month ago I found peonies at Trader Joes. These don't grow in Southern California so as you can imagine they were on the pricey side. It's a good thing that they are one of my favorite flowers. The sacrifices one makes for the sake of art. I've truely enjoyed painting these from life. I did take a lot of reference photos, which I'm now using. I'm not sure about the back ground color. I'm also working on two 8"x8" single peony paintings. I've been taking photos as I work and will hopefully post them tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peonies are one of my all time favorite flowers too. These look gorgeous. It looks completed to me. I'm sure you don't have long to go.
The background color harmonizes nicely.

Cheryl McCarley said...

Hi Silvina,
I like your new photo of yourself...I just cut my hair so I need to update my photo, maybe it won't be so big this time. Thanks for your kind words on my peonies. It was daunting for me, but my mom saw them and loved them. That's what counts. Now to figure out how to ship them to Massachusetts, yikes!

Unknown said...

Hi Cheryl,
What a lot of detail these peonies have! I am sure your mother will enjoy this painting for years and years. All the effort and love poured into these flowers are very evident. Don't you find that things painted from the heart turn out so differently from others?