Saturday, August 30, 2008

My First Plein Air Paintings



13"X10" Watercolor on Yupo Paper

It has been a long summer because I haven't painted as much as I would have liked. Having a 10 and 13 year old has kept me busy. I'm looking forward to them returning to school next week so I can concentrate on painting. I did, however, take my first plein air painting workshop this past week. I painted in and around the Laguna Beach area and met some fun people! I truely enjoyed myself. It was a different medium for me, watercolor. The paper was different as well, Yupo plastic. It has forgiving qualitites, as you can remove paint and fixing things later. I've posted my two favorites which weren't anything like his. These were done towards the end when I needed to have aritstic expression. I loved playing with the water!

The talented instructor was Kevin Davidson. You can visit his website and see his wonderful paintings at www.watercoloryupo.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cheryl! I don't know much about watercolor but these are beautiful. Especially like the second one.

I look forward to seeing what you do after the plein air with oils workshop.

Emm said...

I love these! Expressive and romantic!

Cheryl McCarley said...

Hi Silvina,
Thanks for stopping by and leaving kind words. I had a fun first time experience with PA!!

Cheryl McCarley said...

Hi Emm,
I'm so glad you like these. It was a fun learning experience for me. I might even buy some Yupo paper and continue to experiment!!

Sylvia Jenstad said...

These are amazing!!!... beautiful!! ...