Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"The Tangled Dance"


10"x8" oil on canvas panel

This painting started from my first oil plein air outing. I went out with a friend to gain a little experience before taking an oil plein air workshop. Of course, the first mistake was we went out late, around noon, when there is no shadows. It actually worked in my favor. The park we went to had plenty of oaks and trees all around and the sun dappled through causing great lighting on the trees and ground. I walked out of there with just a color study. After my workshop I revisited this and it was a lot of fun to be loose with the strokes. I'm very happy with it. I actually took a picture of more trees next to this scene and hope to paint it as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Cheryl,
I really like the beautiful and varied negative spaces you have in this painting. You have also achieved a good amount of depth with the different greens and the blues... very nice!

I also really like how the sunflowers turned out. The first time I visited your blog, you had a painting up that was going to another of your son's teachers. They must be fighting over who gets him in their class each year. :-)

I have "tagged" you... visit my blog to see how to participate (but feel under no obligation, please). Have a great weekend!