Friday, October 3, 2008

"A Shady Path"

20"x16" oil on canvas (in progress)

This is another painting I've decided to finish. Again, it's from when I lived up north. I'm not exactly sure why I stopped painting it at the time, but I suspect it was my insecurity of knowing how to capture it the way it was in my head. I do like how the grassy dirt road brings your eye into the painting. I need to rework the green oak in front, there is too much detail and needs to be softened. Please feel free to leave a comment. I learn a lot from other artists.

4 comments:

Sylvia Jenstad said...

what a beautiful inviting painting... so cool

Cheryl McCarley said...

Hi Sylvia,
Thanks for your comment! I'm still in a battle with that big tree...I'll be posting the final product soon. I hope. Unless I just cut the tree down. LOL.

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

It looks like middle to northern California. The piece has strong appeal, but I think you are on track when you mention softening the foreground tree. I think the light colored tree behind it could also be softened and given a little more variation in color. Also you might glaze a small variety of very light colors over the grass to give it interest. Now it is very homogenous and probably actually looked that way but slight variations in color could make it more appealing.

Hey - you did ask. It is a strong well painted work as is.

Cheryl McCarley said...

Yes, I did ask. Thanks so much for your critique. I will consider your ideas when working on this painting. Yes, I'm taking a break. I'm glad you like the pumpkins, they were fun to paint.